Maps of the United States are a great resource to help learn about a place at a particular point in time. Old U.S. maps are effective sources of geographical information and useful for historical, genealogical and territorial research.
This collection presents a pictorial history of the development of the United States. From historic maps of Texas to old maps of Colorado; antique maps of Massachusetts to old maps of North Carolina . The maps date from the 16th century to the present and include:
- U.S. maps, including maps showing the progress of the original government surveys
- U.S. Road, Highway and railroad maps
- U.S. Maps showing the nations’s geological features
- U.S. Nautical charts
- U.S. timeline of state boundaries changes
- U.S. Military maps
- U.S. Maps of specific cities, states, islands, harbors, and bodies of water
- Territorial and Colonial era maps of the United States
Choose from maps of all 50 states! We have several vintage maps for most states, showing the progression from territory to statehood.
Our rich collection of antique state maps features the work of a number of famous mapmakers, providing a range of perspectives. Just as with modern-day artists, each mapmaker had a distinctive style. Historical map geeks can recognize the hallmarks of favorite mapmakers.
Atlas Maps of Colonial America and the U.S.
Follow our nation’s history: from colonies and territories to statehood!
U.S. State and Territory Formation Years 1776 to 1912
This Interactive Map of the United States shows the historical boundaries, names, organization, and attachments of every state, extinct territory from the creation of the U.S. in 1776 to 1912.
Old Atlas Maps of Colonial America and the U.S.
This Interactive U.S. State Map shows the historical boundaries, names, organization, and attachments of every state and Territory from the creation of the United States from 1776 to 1912.
External U.S. Map Resources
- Old Historical Maps of the United States (alabamamaps.ua.edu)
- U.S. Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers (ancestry.com)
- U.S., Indexed County Land Ownership Maps, 1860-1918 (ancestry.com)
- Library of Congress U.S. Map Collections (loc.gov)
- Old Maps of the United States (old-maps.com)
- North American Antique Maps and Historical Atlases (historicmapworks.com)
- Historical U.S. State Maps (mapsofthepast.com)
- Antique Maps of the United States (raremaps.com)
- U.S. Map Books (amazon.com)